Stary Cmentarz Żydowski we Wrocławiu

( Old Jewish Cemetery, Wrocław )

The Old Jewish Cemetery (Polish: Stary Cmentarz Żydowski we Wrocławiu) is a historic necropolis-museum situated on 37/39 Ślężna Street, in the southern part of Wrocław (formerly Breslau), Poland. Opened in 1856, the cemetery's eclectic layout features many architectural forms and styles on a monumental scale.

The current shape of the cemetery evolved mostly throughout the 19th century, during the times of the German Empire. The first burial took place in what was then the village of Gabitz (Gajowice), just outside city limits. The cemetery area was then expanded twice. In 1943, the burial ceremonies were abandoned and the necropolis was leased for five years to a gardening center. During World War II, the cemetery became a fierce battleground, the marks of which are still visible on many tombstones. It was inscribed into the register of city monuments in 1975.

Photographies by:
Barbara Maliszewska - CC BY-SA 3.0 pl
Statistics: Position
6351
Statistics: Rank
15315

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
Security
861257934Click/tap this sequence: 1455
Esta pregunta es para comprobar si usted es un visitante humano y prevenir envíos de spam automatizado.

Google street view

Videos

Where can you sleep near Old Jewish Cemetery, Wrocław ?

Booking.com
535.588 visits in total, 9.233 Points of interest, 405 Destinations, 311 visits today.