Yeraltı hamam (Bakı)( Underground Bath (Baku) )
Underground Bath (Azerbaijani: Yeraltı hamam) is a hamam located on the Boyuk Gala Street, near the fortress gates of Icherisheher in Baku.
The bath was presumably built at the beginning of the 17th century. During that period, the construction of baths at the entrances to the city was widespread, so that caravans and travellers could wash themselves before entering into the city.
After the conquest of Baku by the Russian troops in 1806, a military commandants office was located on the territory of the bath. The bath itself was covered with earth, and the domes were demolished.Excavation and restoration work
A part of the bath was cleaned up in 2015 during the archaeological excavations around the Paired Fortress Gate (Gosha Gala). The entire bath, with the exception of a few rooms with collapsed vaults, remained in relatively good condition, but due to the danger of collapse, the study of the bath continued only after the walls were strengthened in 2016.
During the excavations, lamps, parts of clay jugs, coins of the Baku and Shemakhi khanates and of the Russian Empire, bullets, uniforms buttons and other items related mainly to the 18-20th centuries were discovered. Among those was a bronze body fold with three Orthodox icons. The central icon depicted the Saint Nicholas the Pleasant, others illustrated the Saint Mary, Gregory, Vasily, Sergei and other saints. Some of these findings could have got here along with the land brought for filling the bath.
In 2018–2020, the conservation and restoration work was carried out in the bath. The work was supervised by the Austrian company "Atelier Erich Pummer".