Kiruna Church

Kiruna Church

Kiruna Church (Swedish: Kiruna kyrka) is a church building in Kiruna, Sweden, and is one of Sweden's largest wooden buildings. The church exterior is built in a Gothic Revival style, while the altar is in Art Nouveau.

In 2001, Kiruna Church was voted the most popular pre-1950 building in Sweden, in a country-wide poll conducted by the Swedish Travelling Exhibitions, a government agency connected to the Ministry of Culture. It is considered to be "the Shrine of the Nomadic people."

Because of the expansion of the Kiruna Mine the church is slated to be moved a location adjacent to the cemetery on in 2025 or 2026.

 
Interior of the church.

The church was built between 1909 and 1912, and consecrated by Bishop Olof Bergqvist on 8 December 1912.[1] Since 1913, the church is included in the Jukkasjärvi parish in the diocese of Luleå. Gustaf Wickman was the church's architect and the famous altarpiece is a work of Prince Eugen, Duke of Närke.

^ "Kiruna kyrka" (in Swedish). Jukkasjärvi Parish. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
Photographies by:
Position
2137
Rank
567

Add new comment

Esta pregunta es para comprobar si usted es un visitante humano y prevenir envíos de spam automatizado.

Security
439612587Click/tap this sequence: 6517

Google street view