Sinagoga Mare din Constanța

( Great Synagogue (Constanța) )

The Great Synagogue of Constanța is a disused former Ashkenazi synagogue ”for the Jews called « Polish »”, located at 2 C. A. Rosetti Street, corner with Petru Rareş Street in the city of Constanța, Romania.

The synagogue was built between 1910 and 1914 in a Moorish Revival architectural style on the site of an earlier synagogue, erected in 1867/1872, in the place of an older synagogue, built after a firman of Sultan Abdul Azis.The first steps were initiated in 1907, but the original building application submitted in 1908 was denied due to concerns about the strength of the proposed dome and galleries. Architect Anghel Păunescu thus replaced the proposed dome with a semi-cylindrical vault intended to express the same "seduction of the curved space".

In the interwar period, there had been two main synagogues in Constanța: there was also a Sephardic Temple, built between 1905 and 1908 in a Catalan Gothic architectural style, The sephardic synagogue was heavily dam...Read more

The Great Synagogue of Constanța is a disused former Ashkenazi synagogue ”for the Jews called « Polish »”, located at 2 C. A. Rosetti Street, corner with Petru Rareş Street in the city of Constanța, Romania.

The synagogue was built between 1910 and 1914 in a Moorish Revival architectural style on the site of an earlier synagogue, erected in 1867/1872, in the place of an older synagogue, built after a firman of Sultan Abdul Azis.The first steps were initiated in 1907, but the original building application submitted in 1908 was denied due to concerns about the strength of the proposed dome and galleries. Architect Anghel Păunescu thus replaced the proposed dome with a semi-cylindrical vault intended to express the same "seduction of the curved space".

In the interwar period, there had been two main synagogues in Constanța: there was also a Sephardic Temple, built between 1905 and 1908 in a Catalan Gothic architectural style, The sephardic synagogue was heavily damaged during the Second World War when it was used as an ammunition warehouse, later further damaged by an earthquake, and was demolished in 1989 under the rule of Nicolae Ceaușescu.

Photographies by:
Marion H. T. - CC0
Zones
Statistics: Position
1345
Statistics: Rank
90869

Add new comment

Esta pregunta es para comprobar si usted es un visitante humano y prevenir envíos de spam automatizado.

Security
571943268Click/tap this sequence: 5652

Google street view

Where can you sleep near Great Synagogue (Constanța) ?

Booking.com
488.850 visits in total, 9.195 Points of interest, 404 Destinations, 104 visits today.