ქართვლის დედა( Kartlis Deda )
Kartvlis Deda (Georgian: ქართვლის დედა; Mother of Kartvel or Mother of Georgian) is a monument in Georgia's capital Tbilisi.
The statue was erected on the top of Sololaki hill in 1958, the year Tbilisi celebrated its 1500th anniversary. Prominent Georgian sculptor Elguja Amashukeli designed the twenty-metre aluminium figure of a woman in Georgian national dress.
In 1966 Elguja Amashukeli was awarded the Shota Rustaveli State Prize for this sculpture. He called the statue "Capital", and it commonly became known as "Mother of Kartvel". The accessories of the sculpture, the cup with wine and sword, are an expression of the history of our city, Tbilisi, the endless battles with the enemies and the welcoming of friendly guests.
The original statue erected on Sololaki Hill in 1958 was a wooden allegorical statue that would temporarily decorate the capital. Later it was decided to become permanent and the wood texture was covered with aluminum in 1963 to limit environmental damage. In 1997, the old statue was replaced with a new one.